This afternoon I completed testing the migration of the 2 Eclipse projects to Android Studio (mitm client and test harness). The APKs built cleanly and tested as expected on my Nexus tablet. After looking closely at the IDE project configuration files I saw some values specific to my workstation (added after migration) which I removed from Git.
Additional updates were made to the user documentation. I think it's easier to follow now, however the proof will be when someone else tries to follow the instructions.
At this point, I decided the the project was at a point where I could wrap-it-up for the Summer of Code. Here is the link to the release repo snapshot I created for the final GSoC code: https://github.com/mkenne11/nogotofail-pii/releases/tag/soc-final
This isn't the end for the project - just a milestone. There are bugs and enhancements I will continue to work through as well as new features. Unfortunately there is a lack of privacy testing tools available for mobile applications (and software in general) and hope this project can make some contribution to address this and improve the privacy awareness of developers.
I'm discussing with the parent project main author the possibility of merging PII detection and other security functions into the parent project.
Thanks so much to my supervisor (Bart Massey) for all his help, encouragement and the opportunity to be sponsored on this project! It's been such a great opportunity!! Thanks also to the nogotofail parent project author (Chad) has also been very helpful and encouraging!!
Well time to pack my bags. I've been studying in Malaysia for the last year which has been an unreal life-changing experience. Met so many great people/had so many awesome meals/and so many great experiences! Malaysia Boleh!!!
I'll be sad to leave Malaysia behind but it will be nice to get back to Australia as well. I wish everyone the best of luck in the future and all your endeavors!!