Here's a list of project ideas, based strongly on last year's list, which seemed to work out pretty well. Do remember, though, that we are really flexible in what we'll consider…
Here's some of the project areas that are known to be fertile ground. This list isn't limiting, but contains some good space to search for ideas:
- Projects for my PSU CS 410/510 Open Source Software Development class. Currently-enrolling students and others may want to look at past course projects there for ideas.
- Projects related to the various groups I'm involved with. There's a lot of these, and they can all use help. Examples include:
- Portland State Aerospace Society, open hardware/software amateur sounding rockets.
- This year, X.org/freedesktop.org has their own Summer of Code projects. I would suggest that you start there with X Window System stuff, including XCB and Cairo. I will try to coordinate with the X folks on getting a good mentor for projects related to our joint interests.
- The Nickle programming language.
- A project on applications of open Software-Defined Radio.
- Projects related to the various courses I teach.
- See our open source page for more on these topics and others.
I hope these ideas help spark your interest.